Friday, October 17, 2008

Salsa



I had a garden full of tomatoes and my two favorite ways to eat them... by the plate full or homemade Salsa. I love fresh salsa and can't count how many batches I've made. I should can it, but it doesn't stay around long enough to can. I have been known to sit with a spoon and half (OK sometimes a whole) bowl of Salsa and finish it off. It could be worse, I've been known to do that with a half gallon of Rocky Road. One night we had chicken tortilla soup and had fresh salsa in that; it was amazing.

A quick side note...my brother in law, Jeff, told me a great way to preserve your tomatoes before the first freeze/frost. You pull them out of the ground, root and all and put them in the garage and then continue to ripen. (I think he said to put them upside down, or maybe I just made that up, but that's what I did) Sounds crazy and messy, but I tell you, I did it over a week ago because they predicted snow(and no, it didn't snow) and I have had to go out several times a pick ripe, red tomatoes. It's a little embarrassing when Rachel's friends come over and pull into the garage and I have to say, don't mind the tomato garden when you open the door. It's well worth the embarrassment, as we will get pounds of tomatoes out of it. I always love tips like that. I would have wasted so many good tomatoes if I didn't talk to Jeff. THANKS Jeffrey!!

6 comments:

Brigette said...

I'm with you - just take a spoon to it! Fresh salsa is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen - I love all that color... wish I was there to share!

Liz said...

I can't count how many times we've made salsa this year either!!! I'm glad Jeff shared something useful with you, and you know what...he only knows that because he actually did his Home Teaching over the last couple months. He visits a lady that knows everything about gardening. You'll have to tell Mark that Jeff's been a little more faithful since their long talk this Summer. Love you guys!!!

Logan and Ashley said...

I need to learn how to make salsa. Yours looked so good! You have inspired me!!

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

Sounds so delicious. Remind me to store my tomoatoes in the garage next fall. I know I will forget in the meantime. I LoVe salsa too. Looks delicious.

Jeanette Millward said...

Yum!!! That looks so good! I have never had success with tomatoes...of all things! I think I am a little too lazy about going out to water in the heat :)!

Diane said...

I just walked in from church and brought in 13 tomatoes. Looks like more Salsa. Actually, I made some yesterday, so I'll wait a day or two. It's so awesome.