Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Tie Dye Cake

For Wesley's 8th birthday, Rachel told him she'd make him a tie dye cake. She got a fondant recipe from her young women leaders that uses marshmallows and powdered sugar (with intent that it would be more edible). I had watched a re-run of Martha Stewart one day while sitting in the auto shop waiting for Mark's truck to be inspected. (I walked in and was the only one there and it was on Martha. I thought it should be on sports center or the news since it was an auto shop) She had on a college girl who was making a rainbow cake. I thought that would be fun (note-we are not rainbow fans-Mark especially wants to make that clear) So we got home from church, which was Father's Day and Wes' actual birthday and spend the afternoon in the kitchen. The kids had a blast and I was so proud of Rachel for tackling the fondant. The girls helped me make the batter for the rainbow cake. It was so fun and turned out so cute. The cake recipe was a little different. It was a mix between a pound cake and sugar cookie. (Which isn't a bad thing-Lots of butter, sugar and eggs). Mark said never in his life had he not been able to finish a slice of cake, until Sunday. It was very rich. None of use could finish a piece of cake. I don't think I will use the recipe again. It may have also been the frosting in between the layers. I wasn't able to eat the fondant, but you could if you wanted. The kids did such a good job on the tie dye look. We tried to keep the inside of the cake a surprise for Wes, but I think he had an idea of what was going on.


The kids made me a PYT slice, I guess since I'm a pretty young thing!(:

5 comments:

Liz said...

That is the coolest looking cake!!! Looks like a ton of fun to make! You guys always have the most fun! Happy Birthday to Wes! Sorry, with my race, Jeff's birthday, Father's Day, and getting Marianne back I totally spaced calling! :( Hope he had a great day, and I can't wait til' we can come for the baptism!!! Love you Wes Jones!!!

Brigette said...

I saw this cake on the 'whisk kid' blog - only with white frosting! SO pretty! I love all those colors - what a neat surprise!

Kelly said...

How cool! And the coolest part is everyone helping out and having fun together. Your family is the best! Happy Birthday Wes!

And wow - Rachel and Joel are both looking so grown up!

Shannon said...

What a great cake! Britain is jealous he said everyones 8 in my class, now even Wesley. Happy Happy Birthday to Wesley!!!

Ryan Cox said...

This cake turned out beautiful! I'm so intrigued by the fondant, I think I might have to learn how to use it! Kudos for making the layers come out so perfectly in the cake, it looks so pretty!