Saturday, May 22, 2010

School's out, scream and shout!

Finally summer's here, it's good to be chillin' out...

This last few months (I was going to say days, but it's really been a long time) has been very busy and I'm actually looking forward to being home with the kids and not having such a busy schedule. It will still be busy, but I can spend half of the day working in the yard and then some time at the pool. After a long, crazy winter; I am looking forward to the sun and the pool. I have lots to blog, but need to download pictures. I will do that soon, but just wanted the world (or the few peeps that read) that I am alive and will try to redeem myself soon.

Survey say: Feel free to share your comments on the following--
1.Do any of you have any grand ideas for summer learning? I have a sweet one who doesn't love school and needs to continue all summer. We will join the summer reading program at the library, but I need to think of something fun so he'll do it.
2. For those who have square foot gardens, have you heard if it's better for the boxes to run north/south or east/west or does it matter? I need to research it, but knew one of my smart friends/family would know? That's this weeks project. We had snow last week, so it may seem late to you, but I live in Colorado.(: Very excited for a garden and yard work!
Thanks!

3 comments:

Karin Webb said...

I wish I had good advice for problem #1 but since I have the same situation in my family, I'll be interested in any advice other people have. We're planning to go to the library a lot too.

And Happy Birthday to cute Abby! I can't wait to see pictures. And hooray that you're getting an Ikea in Denver. That is so exciting!!

blunckfamily said...

I hope your gardening sisters will tell you about the east/west thing. Have a great summer! We'll try to talk soon.

Brigette said...

First of all - you stinker - we don't get out of school until June 16! I too - love when school ends and the rush subsides at least for a bit!

As for your survey...

1) We have been doing Russell Family challenges - it takes some intial work and organization but once it's done - completing each task becomes your kid-dos responsiblilty. For each day of the challenge - we have a list for each child (according to their skill level) that they have to complete, i.e. read for 60 minutes, find out if Jacob from the Old Testament had any children and what their names are, draw a picture of Mt. Rainier, complete a math facts worksheet of 45 problems, run from here to the water tower 6 times, find out what happens when you mix baking soda and vinegar and then explain why to your mom... you get the idea -- we give them enough to keep them excited and engaged -- but yet we make sure they still have enough time to play with their friends and relax as well - it is still summer vacation -- then at the end of each week or at the end of four weeks they earn a prize - our kids like cash or gift cards but we've done prizes as well with great success. The MOST important thing about our challenge is that Mom and Dad stay out of it - it's ALL on them if they earn their prize! It's always interesting to see what happens when just one of the kid-dos is really excited about doing the challenge and gets up and gets going - their energy and excitement becomes contagious for the rest -- also I tend to get a lot of projects done and our house stays cleaner because their busy with their challenges!

I just found this link from LDS Living with some cute ideas...http://www.ldsliving.com/magazine/article/2500/16-Days-of-Summer-Fun

2. I've come across some long time gardeners who are staunch about east to west and other long time gardeners who say it must be north to south! So I tried for myself and guess what -- success both ways. More recently in doing some reading, I read a couple articles that said as long as it's full sun you can plant in circles! So, my answer is (and I know you'll like this) plant in the direction you think will look the prettiest!