Sunday, July 27, 2008

Pioneer Children



For our Stake Youth Conference this year, we went to Sixths Crossing and Martin's Cove, AKA the Trek. Mark and I were asked to go as a Ma and Pa and we had 9 amazing kids in our group. They all got along very well and we were lucky to have our own two children in our group. We camped at sixths crossing and then drove one day to tour martin's cove. It was incredible and I wish I could have recorded the whole experience. We have talked about taking our own family there sometime to have the little ones get to experience pulling the handcarts and being in that sacred place. I even thought it would be a fun family reunion spot for everyone. You could even be there a day or two and get a lot out of your time there.

We drove there on Wednesday, July 23 (Happy Birthday to Dad and Kelly) and our bus (2 out of 4 buses were late-chartered) was a few hours late. So we got there past dinner time, with enough light to put up our tents. The Morgan's were already there ( for hours) and had food ready for us to come and eat. That was very kind of them and we ended up eating with them for almost every meal. You were assigned to eat dinner with another family and share the fire pit, but they had 3 or 4 others sharing with them. Our area didn't have a picnic table and only two "benches" that were low to the ground, were some spots had 4 or 5. So it was nice to actually be able sit for dinner at their campground. If you think about it, that is a likely scenario on the trek in those days. Those first on the trial, helped those coming in last. It was very sweet and kind of them. We ate some amazing food while we were there. They had it set up that the food was already cooked and we just had to warm it up. We ate pork chops, pot roast, and teriyaki chicken for our dinners and always had potatoes, rice, veggies, salad and a dinner roll. The guy in charge owns a mexican restaurant and has had several other restaurants in the past. So yummy.

We walked about 10 miles on Thursday, July 24th (which happened to be my birthday). Mark gave me a hunny bun for breakfast and made a banner for the back of our hand cart. I think I got sung to about a dozen times that day, and everyone made me feel special. Natalie had made me brownies before she left and even brought ice cream in some dry ice for my favorite dessert. They are sure sweet friends and it was a great day. So the ten miles we walked really didn't seem that bad. Their always seemed to be a breeze and cloud coverage when you needed it. Very surprising for Wyoming. The next day at Martin's Cove was a different story. It was pretty hot with no wind. Not far into it I thought I may have heat stroke, but then I ate, drank and said a prayer that I would make it. I really wanted to be in Martin's Cove. I actually felt better and had a great day. We were told, that President Hinckley told the people of WY, that Martin's cove is the Temple in WY. We were told that it is sacred and holy. It was an amazing place and the Spirit was present. I think everywhere we went I got a little choked up. The senior couples were incredible. They all did a fabulous job reenacting the stories from the past. I was moved by all of them and was grateful for their service.

Saturday we had a last meeting which was nice, but a little longer than I (and everyone) expected. I forgot my bonnet, and that's the only sun I got the whole trip- a little too much on the nose. We left a little before noon and then made the LONG trip home to Colorado. Home around 5:30. Mark had said that next time we will drive our own car and pack a little heavier. We brought everything on the list and nothing more, but it could have been a little more comfy. The bus overheated a lot of the way and the AC had to be turned off, so we were real pioneers, it felt. I kept telling myself not to complain since the pioneers had to endure much more, so it really wasn't that big of a deal. We had a wonderful time and I can't think of a better way to spend pioneer day.

P.S.-There are two pictures with Rachel and Joel and a few other boys. Mark kept freaking out that the boy in the vest & sunglasses looks exactly like Orion. We had to take his picture and the poor guy was called Orion the entire trip. So take a look(:

7 comments:

Liz said...

Welcome back! I'm glad you survived! I think we should go together someday. Maybe not with a baby?

Kelly said...

I loved when we did a trek for Youth Conference. It was the summer before my sophomore year and I have great memories from it. I bet you guys were the coolest family out there! You were stylin' even without wearing the cute "trek dress" that you wore at Liz's. And Mark bore a striking resemblance to Cowboy Mel in his duds...

Thanks for sharing!

Kelly said...

Oh - and Happy Birthday!!! What a fun way to spend the day - I'm glad they made it special for you!

Sarah said...

Love the pictures! Looks like you had fun on the trek. We miss you in Twilight league!

Jeanette Millward said...

Diane,
I love to see pictures of your gorgeous family. I don't know how you do it. You are amazing.

Jeanette Millward said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jan Hawkes said...

You were in Martin's Cove on Pioneer Day?! So was our stake. You didn't happen to see a white-haired gentleman who looked a lot like Jim, or a tall brunette who resembles Haley, did you? What a small world. Your summary is awesome. Thanks for taking the time to share it. Love your slide show too. I didn't see quite that many smiles in our trek photos. You look like you had fun.